- Agency, distribution and franchising
- Brand Guardianship
- Commercial services
- Competition law
- Confidential information
- Contracts and risk management
- Data protection and security
- Domain names
- Digital business
- Image rights
- Intellectual Property
- IP disputes
- Labelling and packaging
- Media and publishing
- Procurement and outsourcing
- Trade marks
- Database rights
- Life Sciences
- Technology and Innovation
- Transport and logistics
- International - Commercial
"a terrific lawyer, bright, enthusiastic and always on top of the situation."Chambers Guide to the UK Legal Profession
"Bill is the sort of lawyer you want with you in the front-line trenches. He's prepared to roll up his sleeves, get stuck in and look after you when the bullets start flying."Former International President – Big Data Services company
Bill is a partner in the Commercial & Technology group and specialises in helping organisations protect and exploit their intellectual property both in the UK and internationally. He also regularly advises on strategic issues and provides general counsel; for many clients he has become their "trusted advisor".
He is ranked by both Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession and The Legal 500 as one of the UK's leading IT and Corporate & Commercial lawyers.
Recent work includes:
- Negotiating data supply contracts in the aviation industry with 20 of the world's largest airlines across five continents.
- Advising the European business division of a global healthcare business on its warehousing and distribution arrangements for the UK.
- Strategic advice to a specialist national trade association on its proposed merger with a related trade organisation.
- Advising a US-parented musical equipment business on branding challenges in Germany and Switzerland.
- Advising a UK software company on SAAS licence contracts with major pharmas.
- Creating a global data protection and security compliance programme for a UK technology company expanding into global markets.
- International contract advice drafting and negotiation
- Exploitation of intellectual property
- Strategic commercial legal advice for business development and growth
- Data protection and security
- Attaining trusted adviser status for clients
- Inward investment into the Thames Valley
- Law Society's Intellectual Property Committee (2003-2015)
- Competition Law Association
- Society for Computers & Law
- British Computer Society
- International Trademark Association
Bill graduated in law from the University of Exeter and qualified in 1982. He joined Boyes Turner as a Partner in 1988 from Clarks Solicitors. Bill was chairman of the firm from 2001 to 2009.
- Contributor to Law Society responses to Gower & Hargreaves reviews of intellectual property.
- Regular contributor to the "Jeweller" magazine on legal issues.
- Lectured to Thames Valley Chamber Finance Forum – "Innovation: Creating the Commercial Edge."
- Speaker on CLT Professional Training Courses:
- "Domain name disputes"
- "Advising clients on their websites"
An active member of the local business and professional community, Bill is a board member of Thames Valley Byte Night (Action for Children), non-executive director of the Thames Valley Chamber of Commerce Group, Trustee of the Sandhurst Trust (RMAS) and a chairman of the youth section of Redingensians RFC. He is an enthusiastic military historian and a regular visitor to Flanders and the Somme battlefields of the First World War. His love for music ranges from Opera to Prog Rock.