Commercial & Technology Solicitor 2-3PQE
Salary: £Market rate
- 3 x Partners
- 3 x Senior Associate Solicitors
- 3 x Solicitors
- 3 x Paralegal / Secretary
- 1 x Trainee Solicitor
The Group has for many years been ranked by Chambers Guide in the top band for the Thames Valley in TMT and IP and in Band 4 UK-wide for Media & Entertaining, whilst in Legal 500 it ranks in Band 1 for the South East in each of IT & Telecoms; IP and Media & Entertainment and in Band 2 for corporate & commercial in the Thames Valley.
Mark Blunden leads the Commercial & Technology practice and both he and the team are top ranked by Chambers & Partners and Mark is in the Legal 500 Hall of Fame.
In summary, we cover the following:
- Commercial contracts, frequently with an international aspect
- Technology contracts (including IP licensing)
- Data protection
- Intellectual property
- Strategic advice
- External General Counsel service
Our clients include global and international companies with regional headquarters based in the UK or mainland Europe; mid-market UK companies and fast-growing and entrepreneurial businesses.
The extent of our international client practice is unrivalled amongst other Thames Valley firms giving our lawyers an unrivalled range of experience and diversity.
Many of our clients are in the technology sector although we have some significant manufacturing clients.
For most clients we provide an external counsel resource providing day-to-day advice on commercial contractual matters including negotiations with suppliers and customers. We also undertake project-based tasks and risk assessment/management of proposed contracts.
Much of our work involves drafting; analysing or negotiating commercial agreements. Contract drafting can range from the creation of standard template documents for implementation by a business and their periodic review; the drafting of bespoke contracts or the analysis and negotiation of contracts received from third parties. In particular, we provide legal services to the UK/EMEA operating entities of US-owned companies.
With strong TMT connections, we advise on data licensing; data security; data privacy and data protection. We are well known for the work we do in the field of business process outsourcing; software as a service and hosted solutions, as well as software development and licensing.
Some of our clients are dominant in their marketplace and the ability to analysis and recognize competition law issues and to advise on them, directly or with the support of counsel, is important. We advise businesses on vertical agreements and collaborations to avoid competition law pitfalls.
We advise on and handle the management of all types of intellectual property, the licensing of which underlies most TMT contracts and through our distinct “brand guardianship” service arrange for the protection of trademarks, designs and domain names. We have a dedicated IP litigation team that handles claims of infringement of such rights, e.g. counterfeit goods and breach of confidential information.
We are often called upon to advise on the regulation of business- -to-consumer trading, an area that is currently undergoing massive change. We also advise on agreements relating to consumer & business finance.
The Group are looking for a solicitor with client facing experience to join the team. The candidate will enjoy direct client contact and will at an early stage hold direct regular client relationships and advise across a range of issues therefore a sound knowledge of commercial contracts and interest in digital media, data and IT contracts will be an advantage.
The successful candidate will have previous experience in advising on contractual risk and negotiating contracts with the aim of achieving commercial solutions for clients. That experience will have been gained either in-house or at another highly-regarded commercial law firm where the candidate will have obtained broad experience.
Working with the firm’s clients the successful candidate will be self-assured, hard-working and rigorous.
In return the team provide a very supportive and collaborative home and team working an continual internal training will aid the successful candidate to swiftly grow in experience and confidence with a broad and interesting range of work that frequently will have an international flavour.
- Ability to interact effectively with clients and develop client relationships
- Adaptability to meet challenges of constantly shifting client priorities to fulfill their objectives
- Possess excellent legal analysis, drafting and communication skills (both verbal & written)
- Ability to provide clear & concise advice in plain English and to articulate complex legal concepts in a comprehensible manner for lay business people
- Skillset to create solutions to meet client objectives
- Excellent knowledge of contract law
- Ability to work as part of a team alongside other lawyers
- Willingness to work with clients as part of their team
- Enquiring mind with the desire to expand knowledge of law in context
- Desire to understand how clients’ businesses operate and work with them on an ongoing basis
- Discretionary bonus scheme
- 25 days holiday
- Pension scheme with a 4% employer contribution and the employee contributes 4%
- Life Assurance - 5 x final salary
- Private medical cover
- Season ticket travel loan
We enjoy excellent working conditions and a forward thinking, friendly team which fully embraces flexible working arrangements for all.