Please note that this event has now finished.
Mark Blunden, Partner in the commercial and technology group, is speaking at an event in Brussels for IFE by Abilways.
A key plank of the Juncker Commission's 'Digital Single Market' initiative, initially due for delivery by end 2015, is reform of EU Data Protection legislation. Last October's 'Schrems' Judgement, on EU-US Safe Harbor, seemed to have pushed the reform package 'off-course'. However, December saw the EU Parliament and Council agree a text for the General Data Protection Regulation. Clarification of the newly announced 'Privacy Shield', for EU-US data flows, arrived in early March. This conference reviews the current state of play and asks - Where are we now - sailing into calmer waters?
1:45 pm Registration
2:00 pm Welcome Speech
2:15 pm The New General Data Protection Regulation
- Expanded Territorial Scope
- One Stop Shop
- Accountability Principle & The Data Controller
- Responsibilities of the Data Processor
- Notification of Security Breaches
- Increased sanctions for non-compliance
- What are the implications for intra-group transfers?
- What implications for marketing & transfers to third parties?
Chris Sherwood - Head of Public Policy, Allegro Group
Isabelle Vereecken - Privacy and data protection Legal advisor, Belgian Data Protection Authority
3.15 pm Coffee networking
3.30 pm EU-US Privacy Shield
- Significance of 3 February, 2016, announcement by Commissioner Jourova
- Scope of 'EU-US Privacy Shield' - New rules on data privacy to replace Safe Harbor
- Meaning of 'equivalence'? Does 'Privacy Shield' adequately address the Schrems criteria?
- European Commission and the US Government
- Annual reviews and the 'Privacy Ombudsman'
- Enhanced monitoring and sanctions?
Mark Blunden - Partner, Boyes Turner Technology Group, Boyes Turner Reading UK
Raffaele Zallone - Formerly IBM's General Counsel for North West Europe, Studio Legale Zallone
4.15 pm Debate
- In what ways is your company affected?
- How will handling of personnel records be affected?
- What about Cloud services?
- What actions should Data-Controllers be preparing now?
- Equivalent responsibilities of the Data-Processor?
- Implications of the increased sanctions for non-compliance
- Coordinated enforcement by EU Data Privacy Authorities? Or will enforcement proceed in an ad hoc manner?
- What form will enforcement by the Department of Commerce take in the USA?
Leonard W.N. Hawkes, Isabelle Vereecken, Mark Blunden, Chris Sherwood & Raffaele Zallone
5.30 pm Closing remarks & end of conference
This event is accredited by OFBG - 3 points
To request a registration form please contact France Noiret on [email protected].
For more information, please contact Mark Blunden