Combining the expertise of three of the firm's most successful practice groups - Corporate, Property and Business Support & Insolvency, the firm's Banking & Finance team has considerable strength in depth.
- Corporate: One of the most experienced teams of corporate lawyers in the Thames Valley.
- Property: One of the leading commercial property legal teams in the Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40.
- Business Support & Insolvency: The top ranked insolvency lawyers in the South East.
It is supported by the Dispute Resolution group, one of the few litigation teams outside the City to have specific expertise in banking disputes.
The team provides the complete range of structured finance and lending advice to borrowers and lenders including:
- Preparation and agreement of facility documentation
- Taking and giving debentures over assets of companies and LLPs
- Asset backed finance, including invoice discounting
- Charges over freehold and leasehold properties
- Security over contracts
- Security over intellectual property rights
- Inter-creditor arrangements
- Assignment of life policies
- Providing letters of opinion and arranging foreign legal opinions
- Assignment of the benefit of reports and copyrights
- Assignment of benefit of building contracts
- Parent company guarantees and performance bonds
- Collateral warranties incorporating "step in" rights
- Legal due diligence reporting
- Consideration of financial assistance issue
Work in non-UK jurisdictions is managed through the firm's membership of Lawrope, a network of leading European law firms, and through its relationships with a number of North American law firms.
Recent Banking and Finance work includes:
- Acting for a major bank in relation to the provision of multi-million pound loan facilities to a new customer to fund a key strategic acquisition.
- Acting for a US corporation in relation to the securitisation of an $80 million worldwide syndicated loan facility.
- A £10 million refinancing of transactions in relation to partially completed and completed property developments. These comprised both residential and business units and included the organisation of a foreign legal opinion, legal charges, assignment of the benefit of the building contract, collateral warranties and professionals.
- Acting for a bank in relation to a multi-currency term loan facility to finance an MBO of a specialist engineering group. The transaction involved consideration of security from both UK and overseas subsidiaries.
- The financing of an insurance broking group including advice on consumer credit issues and the charging of book debts.
- Acting for a bank funding the exit of a venture capital fund from a mobile telephone retailing group.
- Acting for a bank in relation to invoice discounting facilities including dealing with related security and with creditor arrangements.
- Acting for a private funder on a £10 million facility as part of a successful MBO and subsequent IPO.
- Acting for a bank on structured loan facilities totalling approximately £6 million to enable the redemption and buy-back out of capital by the bank's customer of preference shares held by private equity shareholders.
- Acting for a bank in relation to the sale by one of its customers of one of the largest property development sites in the south east with a sale price for the property of £24 million, deferred until the fulfilment of particular conditions. The work involved advising on the bank's security including a charge over the agreement and a guarantee from the buyer's bank.