Rapid technological advancements, the unprecedented scale of data flows around the world and an increased scrutiny on the handling of personal data and security breaches by businesses has made data protection and security one of the top governance issues facing businesses today.
In today’s digital world, data and the insights that can be obtained from data, play an increasingly important part in a business’ commercial strategy but the commercialisation and processing of personal data comes with both financial and reputational risks if the business gets it wrong. The threats to a business as a result of security breaches or a failure to comply with data protection laws are very real and significant. We provide pragmatic advice on data protection laws and provide guidance to businesses on monetizing and processing data whilst remaining compliant with the various laws.
We advise clients on a number of data protection issues. Our work includes:
- data protection audits and gap analysis
- drafting and reviewing data protection policies and procedures
- drafting data processing agreements
- advising on cross border data transfer agreements (both within and outside of the EEA)
- advising on data subject access requests and data subject consents including in the context of marketing and advertising
We are currently advising on the new General Data Protection Regulation which represent a major overhaul of data protection legislation in the EU.