For many organisations, their Intellectual Property is their most important asset and the key to their successful growth and profitability.
Boyes Turner’s IP team specialises in the protection and monetisation of brands and Intellectual Property. It is top ranked by Chambers Guide to the UK Legal Profession, The Legal 500 and has also been rated as one of the UK's top 30 IP practices by The World Trade Mark Review.
The team's reputation has evolved from acting for multi-nationals setting up in the UK's Thames Valley with the aim of expanding across EMEA, to advising content rich media and publishing businesses, design and manufacturing companies and leading global brands and marketing agencies.
Contentious work includes trade mark infringement and passing off, patent infringement, infringement of Community and UK design rights, copyright infringement, breach of confidence and counterfeiting. Alternative dispute resolution - especially mediation and arbitration is regularly used to resolve disputes quickly and cost effectively.
Non-contentious IP work includes patent and know-how licensing, university spin-outs and technology transfer, R&D collaborations and joint ventures, clinical trial agreements, material transfer agreements etc. as well as advising on related corporate and financing transactions.
Confidential information including business secrets, methodologies and know-how are forms of intellectual property that are commonly overlooked. For many organisations however, they are extremely important commercial assets.
Our team works closely with clients and advises both entrepreneurs as well as major multinationals on how best to protect their confidential information. Where it is misappropriated or allegations of this are made by third parties, support is provided through advising on how to progress matters strategically or if required using litigation to resolve issues quickly and with minimal damage.
For many organisations, as well as creative individuals, the copyrights that they own and use are their most strategically important commercial assets. The Commercial teams specialises in helping clients create, protect and commercialise copyright without creating unnecessary risk.
We can advise on how data can be sourced, captured and used to best advantage as well as protected from abuse and theft.
A comprehensive domain name service is provided by our team. This includes domain name creation and registration through to watching services that enable pre-emptive action to be taken preventing a domain name from being hijacked. Where a domain name is hijacked, the contentious IP team is able to recover domains quickly and cost effectively.
There is particular experience of managing large domain name portfolios.
- Domain name registration – reviewing domain name availability across internet registries for UK, .com, EU and other top level domains, arranging for registration.
- Monitoring – watching services to monitor domain name registrations in the UK, Europe and globally.
- Recovery – recovering domain names from third parties. Complaints have successfully been filed through the Nominet Dispute Resolution Procedure, ICAAN and the Czech Arbitration Court for .com registrations.
- Where required the Contentious Trade Mark service achieves "recovery" for trade mark infringement through the court system.
- Transfers – handling the transfer of domain names.
- Disputes - handling abusive registrations, cyber-squatting, typo-squatting and "sucks" sites.
We provide advice and assistance on the use and exploitation of image rights. This frequently relates to agreements on the use of an individual’s image or “personality”. These rights are often referred to as “personality rights” and are an increasingly common currency in the worlds of celebrity and sport.
Patents provide proprietary rights to new inventions and create a registered right and asset for the patent owner. Issues that regularly need to be considered include:
- How to obtain a patent for a recent idea or invention before disclosing it, or losing the right to be able to patent it.
- The scope of the protection that a patent provides.
- The most appropriate way to realise value including through exploitation or licensing to third parties.
Advice on patents is provided from the inception phase through to monetisation and regularly includes:
- The production and sale of items.
- Preventing third parties infringing monopoly rights.
- Patent licensing and technology transfer arrangements which enable patent rights to be shared without contravening competition law or other rights or obligations in any other jurisdictions.
- Collaborations and joint ventures to develop innovation in emerging biotech, life sciences and medical devices.
Businesses' brands and product names are key to their commercial success.
We are able to assist and provide advice regarding trade mark availability, registration, management, watching and protection. We can scale our service to your needs, whether you are an entrepreneur or a major household name.
Our service covers the UK and international jurisdictions. We work with our network of international intellectual property professionals to register and protect your brands worldwide.