It is an unfortunate fact of life that even the most able professionals can occasionally make mistakes that have serious financial consequences. Whether mistakes will give rise to a claim for recovery of the losses suffered will depend on proving that there has been a failure of the professional to maintain the standard expected by like professionals.
The successful handling of these types of claim requires a range of qualities and skills that can be found in the Professional Negligence service:
- An understanding of the full impact of the mistake on a claimant's business or personal circumstances – e.g. stress, disruption and much else besides financial loss.
- Advising on the prospects of success before issuing proceedings.
- The ability to establish whether the claim is about to become time-barred.
- Early identification of remedial steps and advice on corrective action.
- Evaluation of the need for an expert witness.
- Determination to get to grips with complex technical issues and seek out the crucial detail from the case history.
- The ability to obtain key documents from opponents before proceedings.
The Professional Negligence service has considerable experience of delivering successful outcomes in professional negligence claims involving lawyers, accountants, architects, surveyors, financial advisors and other professionals.
Its solicitors include members of the Law Society Professional Negligence Referral Panel and the Professional Negligence Lawyers Association.
In appropriate cases the Professional Negligence service provides representation on a conditional fee basis.