Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession ranks the firm's Property disputes team as in the top tier. The team spend 100% of their time dealing with contentious property issues and works closely with the Property and Construction teams.
Our Property disputes team is solution led and has an excellent understanding of alternative dispute resolution techniques including mediation, arbitration, adjudication and expert determination. Clients
include property developers, national house builders, local authorities and owner managed businesses.
The team’s work regularly includes:
- Advising on the enforceability of restrictive covenants including pursuing and defending claims and negotiating settlements and releases
- Disputes involving rights of way, rights of light, adverse possession and boundary issues
- Disputes relating to all aspects of the development of land
- Advising on all aspects of dilapidations for commercial landlords and tenants
- Advising corporate clients with extensive property portfolios on strategy planning, in particular where they have become landlords of premier office space due to the acquisition of competitor companies
- Rent reviews – dealing with all aspects including scrutinising rent review notices as well as arbitration
- Advising in relation to leasehold enfranchisement
- Notices of repair – the team has extensive experience of advising both landlords and tenants regarding interim and end of term repair claims working closely with facilities managers and internal or external surveyors to minimise the cost of the repair
- Break notices - exercising breaks on behalf of clients and advising on the validity of break notices for landlords
- Residual lease liabilities on the occasion of company liquidation – the team regularly advises landlords and insolvency practitioners on all aspects of the impact of tenant insolvency including the remedies available to landlords in the different insolvency regimes. The advice encompasses advising on the best strategy to be adopted in order to maximise the landlord’s return.
- Eviction of trespassers – the team is regularly involved in obtaining possession of commercial and residential properties from squatters, trespassers and defaulting tenants
- Disputes over service charges in commercial and residential leasehold property.