The Housing service specialises in helping Registered Providers and not for profit clients deliver high quality, affordable homes to rent or buy as well as supported housing and care services.
It also works closely with charities and public sector organisation assisting in the disposal of surplus land, and also with banks and other funders on housing finance transactions and taking charges.
Housing expertise includes:
- All forms of development and land contracts
- Development partnering
- Grant agreements
- Housing finance
- Housing litigation
- Joint ventures
- Landlord and tenant
- Plot sales
- Management and agency agreements
- Stock transfer and swaps
Recent work includes:
- Acting for a Thames Valley Registered Provider on the off-plan freehold purchase of multiple blocks of flats, together with the right for the client to terminate the development agreement and bring in their own contractor if the owner did not comply with its development obligations.
- Acting for an almshouse charity in connection in the "golden brick" acquisition from a national developer of block of 40 new build homes for the elderly within a larger estate development and including modifying existing s106 agreements and dealing with the grant of security over charity assets for development funding.
- Negotiating on behalf of a public sector organisation for the disposal of surplus land for affordable housing to be constructed, owned and managed by a housing association which granted nomination rights to the public sector employer. This also included modifying s106 obligations to enable those nomination rights to be enjoyed in priority to local authority nominations.
- Acting for a bank taking a charge over a large affordable development with extra security simultaneously taken over another site owned by the Registered Provider borrower.
- Acting for RBS/Natwest, HSBC, Santander, Handelsbanken, Bank of Ireland and Clydesdale bank on various housing finance transactions.
- Acting for a Registered Provider on a joint venture with a large developer with the client interest secured by a first legal charge over the site.
- Advising a Registered Provider on the impact of planning conditions restricting commencement of development and the procedures involved in a third party challenge to the validity of a Traffic Regulation Order required enabling the development to proceed.