“a ‘great technical lawyer’ and part-time tribunal judge”Chambers Guide to the UK Legal Profession
Laurie advises on all aspects of employment law, but particularly specialises in helping employers prevent and defend complex and high-value discrimination, equal pay, TUPE, employment status and whistleblowing claims. He has extensive experience as an advocate, appearing at employment tribunals throughout England, Wales and Scotland, and in the industrial tribunal in Northern Ireland, and regularly speaks at client and public events on aspects of employment law.
He also leads the Business Immigration team at Boyes Turner, advising overseas professionals and their employer on working in the UK and complying with UK immigration requirements.
Recent work includes:
- Acting for an employee in one of the first ever whistleblowing cases in the UK, winning compensation of over £250,000.
- Successfully defended organisations in employment status claims across the leisure, catering, logistics and insurance industries.
- Defending a local authority against more than 200 equal pay claims.
- Presenting training webinars to over 1,000 people at a time, dealing with topics such as the early conciliation rules and disability discrimination.
Laurie is a part-time employment judge and chair of the Law Society’s Employment Law Committee. He is a contributing author with Xpert HR and regularly speaks on webinars for Personnel Today.
Having graduated in law from the University of Liverpool, Laurie then studied fror his master’s degree in advanced legal practice from De Montfort University. He trained as a solicitor with Boyes Turner, qualifying in 1997 and was promoted to Associate - Solicitor in 2003.
From 2004 and 2011 as well as his work at Boyes Turner, he was a part-time lecturer in employment law at a local college, and from 2010 onward he has been a part-time employment judge, hearing cases in the Birmingham Employment Tribunal.
Laurie tries to prevent weeds taking over his allotment.
- Film - LA Confidential
- Place in the world - Venice