Ally is a Senior Associate – Chartered Legal Executive in the Dispute Resolution group. She joined the firm in 1985 and qualified in 1996. She has nearly 30 years experience in litigation matters.
Ally provides advice to a variety of companies dealing with all manner of business to business contract disputes and has a particular specialism in commission disputes for estate agents and recruitment businesses. She acts for both claimants and defendants and is also part of the firm’s leisure and hospitality team. Ally often assists clients with claims without the need to issue proceedings whether by way of written negotiation, round table meeting, mediation or arbitration but also has extensive experience of undertaking proceedings both in the High Court and County Court.
Ally regularly advises on high value complex contract disputes and had her first reported decision in 2004, namely ICM Computer Solutions plc v Computer 2000 Distribution Ltd & Others. In 2023 one of Ally’s clients gave feedback on Ally that she was “very bright, competent and easy to work with” and after having won a trial recovering commission for a well known estate agency her client contact described her as a “litigatory goddess”!
Ally also heads up the firm’s probate disputes team. She provides advice to trustees, executors and beneficiaries whether claimant or defendant regarding all manner of probate disputes often in relation to high value complex estates. Ally often assists clients to settle claims without the need for court proceedings but also has considerable experience of dealing with court proceedings.
Ally is a regular article writer and often has her articles published in the Expert Journal, Today’s Wills & Probate & Estate Research.
Outside of work
In her spare time Ally enjoys spending time with her family and friends and travelling the world. She is also passionate about Reading Football Club and has been a season ticket holder for many years.
Commercial litigation expertise
- Advising estate agents and recruitment businesses in relation to claims for commission
- Advising on termination of contracts and claims for damages thereto
- Claims for non-payment of invoices
- Injunctions including employees’ alleged breach of covenant clauses and applications to prevent the presentation of a winding-up petition
- Judicial Review
- Claims for damages for breach of contract and/or non-performance of contract
- Claims for damages for defective goods and other breach of contract claims relating to the supply of services and/or goods
- Insolvency claims relating to applications to set aside statutory demands and/or defending bankruptcy and winding-up proceedings
- Claims for bailment and/or conversion of goods
Contentious probate expertise
- Challenging wills based on Invalid execution, lack of testamentary capacity, lack of want of knowledge and approval or forgery
- Undue influence claims
- Fraudulent wills including fraudulent calumny
- Rectification of wills
- Applications to remove trustees/executors
- Challenges to appointment of trustees/executors
- Claims pursuant to the Inheritance (Provision for Family & Dependants) Act 1975
- Inquest proceedings
I have worked with Ally Tow. She is very bright, competent and easy to work with.