- Agency, distribution and franchising
- Brand Guardianship
- Commercial services
- Competition law
- Confidential information
- Contracts and risk management
- Data protection and security
- Domain names
- Digital business
- Image rights
- Intellectual Property
- IP disputes
- Media and publishing
- Procurement and outsourcing
- Trade marks
- Investing in the UK
- Database rights
- Technology and Innovation
- International - Commercial
"incredibly sound and pragmatic, with a widely admired international practice."Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession
Mark has led the firm's Commercial & Technology group since 2008.
Specialising in technology law, he advises clients on strategic issues regarding the commercialisation of their products and services and has particular expertise in knowledge and information based sectors, including areas of outsourcing, licensing, and product and brand development and protection.
He also leads the firm’s International and Foreign Direct Investment team, providing support to clients in their internationalisation, both into the UK for foreign investing firms and worldwide for UK based operations.
Mark's clients range from companies in the technology and multi media sectors including both leading international Plcs such as ERP Software provider Infor, UK originating businesses such as the Trader Media Group, and owner managed businesses. He acts in an advisory capacity to a number of bodies including the Business School of the University of Reading.
Recent work includes:
- Advising on the supply of all security management systems for use at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow 2014.
- Advising Médecins Sans Frontières on its procurement of portable hospitals and associated equipment for deployment to the Tacloban region.
- Advising the UK’s largest online automotive portal on both technological and strategic matters pertaining to the operation of the business
- Advising US parented international water treatment business on its restructuring of European and EMEA operations, including the disposal and franchising of its UK business, the acquisition of a former distributor in Poland and the formation of a joint venture company in Belarus.
- Advising a US-parented media and social media monitoring company on its operational business and supply and collaboration arrangements with Accenture and leading banks and institutions as well as advising on compliance matters in relation, in particular, to copyright and content procurement and licensing, including participating in OJEU tenders to provide content to well-known bodies such as the BBC.
- Providing advice to businesses looking to structure international distribution, agency and franchising arrangements.
- President of LawRope (the international legal network in which Boyes Turner participate as well as responsibility for international relationships with other law firms to enable provision of a global legal solution to clients).
- Director of the Federation Against Software Theft.
- Society for Computers & Law – member of the Thames Valley regional branch.
As well as being published in the business and technical press, Mark is frequently approached to provide legal comment in the broadsheets and has been an expert commentator on legal issues on Classic FM's technology slot.
He is a regular speaker at seminars on commercial intellectual property and international law practices, including speaking at the RWP M&A Conference held annually in a number of European locations. Notable publications include:
- Co-Authoring The Guide to Intellectual Property in Europe
Mark has particular interest in international business transactions and acting for clients requiring innovative and creative solutions to commercial challenges.
South African born, Mark originally qualified as an English barrister and South African advocate before working as an in-house lawyer. He joined Boyes Turner in 1998 and became a partner in 2002. Mark has also previously run his own business.
Mark is an enthusiastic gardener. He enjoys fly fishing and country pursuits. He also enjoys training flat-coated retrievers.